Friday, October 5, 2007

Dorm Survival Foods: Part 2

Junk food is a necessary evil considering the food offered by my meal plan is pretty horrible. That being said Andy Capp's Hot Fries are one one of my all time favorite salty junk foods. For those of you not familiar with Andy Capp he's a classic comic strip character and a lazy couch potato who beats his wife (at least in the early comics). This obviously makes him the perfect mascot for a junk food product.

The fries themselves I guess are made out of the same kind of stuff as a cheese puff, I'm not entirely sure about that. Despite the name “fries” I'm pretty sure there's no potato going on here. The texture is completely different. It's like the people who designed this snack new how to make the perfect crunch, it's absolutely addictive no matter which flavor of fries you're eating. There's a few flavors but the most common are “hot” and “cheddar.” Cheddar is good when your stomach isn't in the mood for something spicy and has its own unique flavor (that doesn't taste like cheddar but it's good anyway).


The real star here however is the Hot Fries. I can't really describe their flavor other than it's absolutely delicious. There's nothing else like them out there. As for the heat it's not unbearable. I get mixed reactions from some people who say they're too hot for them to handle while others claim they aren't hot enough. I've eaten a bag of them without water but honestly if I'm going to dig in to some Hot Fries I want a drink to be nearby.


It's hard to eat them religiously because I get so addicted that I always have to finish an entire bag of them and afterwards I never want to see another fry for the next few months. That's fine, every now and then I get in the mood for them and they make a great occasional snack. You'll just never see a permanent supply of them on my shelf. Another problem is the mess. You will get greasy orange crap on your fingers so make sure you've got some paper towels ready. The Cheddar Fries aren't quite as messy but orange fingertips are the price you have to pay for the ultimate flavor.


If you see some Andy Capp's Fries sitting around and you haven't tried them before you're doing your taste buds a great disservice and you're denying yourself a unique experience. They're usually only a dollar a bag and are sometimes on sale for fifty cents a bag so you have no excuse. Go eat some Hot Fries.


9/10 (Point taken away for messiness and killing my stomach when I eat an entire bag.)

No comments: