Monday, December 24, 2007

HD vs. Blu-Ray: The Great "Who Cares?" War.

What better topic is there to discuss on Christmas Eve than something many greedy boys and girls will find under their trees this year. An HD-DVD player or a Blu-Ray DVD player. Both are expensive status symbols that have absolutely no real use.

Maybe even more so than the argument over which new video game console to buy people are causing drama all over the Internet about these overpriced cup holders. To be honest I don't know much about either of them. I don't know the numbers and statistics and which one is truly better or truly worse. No, what I know is that they're both ridiculous.

Now I'm used to people arguing about graphics when it comes to things like video games, that's always been a driving force in the industry. Movies however, I cannot comprehend. This "High-Definition" resolution is a load of shit. A good LCD TV with normal definition looks perfectly fine to me. I'm even satisfied with an old CRT and a VCR cassette. I'll admit the jump from cassette to DVD was a much needed one, but now we're just picking nits.

For the price you'll pay for a sharper image it's absolutely ridiculous. It's just a scam by the movie industry to make addicted movie nuts buy their entire DVD collections all over again. The thing is I wouldn't even mind this new format if they put the memory to good use. They can fit entire season, hell in some cases entire shows, onto a single disk, eliminating the need for huge box sets. But no, instead they uncompress the video and audio and one movie fits on a disk again. Fuck the marginally higher quality, fuck several thousand dollar home theaters. I just want to see the movie. I just want copies of my favorite TV shows that won't take up by whole shelf and cost $200.

And trust me, there's a lot of people out there who would agree. Why else would movie piracy be so rampant? Those people are obviously not worried about picture quality now are they? You get what you pay for I guess but in this case you're not getting a hell of a lot more.

DVDs still control the majority of the market, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Almost every modern movie that would be better served viewed in HD has been a terrible movie anyway, so what's the point? There's so many things in the world that we can be working at to make better, and movie viewing shouldn't be one of them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or it might get broken really fast.

But I digress, I suppose it's just my personal opinion that these movies seriously don't look better enough to warrant ever wanting to bother with an upgrade. If you absolutely HAVE to see Optimus prime in HD then don't let my angry rant stop you. It's your money. Go keep up with the Jones's or the rest of the Internet might laugh at you for falling behind.

No comments: