Friday, November 2, 2007

A Comic about Crohn's Disease

I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis, an irritable bowel disorder that involuntarily controls just about every aspect of my life. It's a hard to talk about, embarrassing disease that hurts as much physically as it does socially and emotionally.

It's something that I like to keep from people if I can, many of my friends unaware that I'm ill even though I'm wracked with pain or tortured because I need to run to the bathroom multiple times during certain social situations.

There's just no good way to talk about it, and it could be worse. It's not life threatening at least and I have a pretty happy life regardless.

In any case an artist by the name of Tom Humberstone created the comic "Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Crohn's Disease," which is the same type of ailment as Ulcerative Colitis. The comic is funny though the topic is serious, it made me smile as much as it tried to jerk a few tears out of my eyes. I've been through much of the same pain and the same situations as Tom even though his disease started when he was much younger than mine did (my freshman year of college).

You can find the comic at here. It's an absolutely excellent work in my opinion though I admit it kind of has some special meaning to me. I'll definitely use it in the future if I ever find myself in another situation where I have to explain my illness.

No comments: