Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Barack Obama: Yes We Did

It's finally over. Perhaps I can actually stop talking about politics for a while. The polls were accurate, and at around 11 pm last night Senator Obama became President Elect Obama in an electoral landslide. A political shift has occurred in this country and our new president is going to be facing challenges that we haven't seen since FDR took office. For better or worse, the United States of America is entering a period of change and after this historic event, we've gone from living in depressing times to exciting ones.

So what's going to happen? Will the race issue get better or worse? Will President Obama get our flailing economy back on track? Will the war in Iraq finally come to a close? I don't know the answer to any of these things. Right now I feel a combination of relief and pride and I believe that last night was something that I'll never forget. It doesn't feel like the Democratic party won last night, it feels like America won last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found out a day late because it was really hard to get hold of the news here, but I'm so pleased. Now it's all about what happens next I guess.

Having fun here. Going to Erawan National Park tomorrow to swim in some waterfalls, I'm in an internet cafe in a place called Kanchanaburi right now.

I'll write again next time I'm online. Speak to you in December.

Kate