Saturday, August 25, 2007

Genesis Does!


Time to introduce you to another slightly embarrassing hobby of mine. Or maybe not, as I'm not as extreme as certain collectors out there. For some reason I started collecting all things Sega Genesis. I mean everybody's got a collection of something, why not Genesis games? It was cheap, fun, and I love the system to death. If you're part of my generation and you played video games you fell into one of three categories: You had a Sega Genesis, you had a Super Nintendo, or you were a spoiled rich kid and you had both. I, as you might have guessed, was one of the kids with a Genesis.

I'm not entirely sure why I hold this particular system in the highest regard in terms of nostalgia, I mean I had an Atari 2600 and a Nintendo Entertainment System well before I graduated to the mighty Mega Drive. I guess when I got my hands on the Genesis in the 4th grade I was just at the age where I was old enough to start really understanding video games. Then again my favorite system after the Genesis just so happens to be the Dreamcast, so maybe I'm just a Sega fanboy in denial.

Interestingly enough I've noticed a divide among gamers my age. The majority of those who had the Genesis are more into action oriented, arcade style games. Those with the Super Nintendo are more satisfied by adventure games and RPGs. This isn't really shocking considering those were the strong suits of their particular systems. You couldn't get the Genesis speed out of a Super Nintendo or the Super Nintendo graphics and sound out of a Genesis. There are of course exceptions and arguments for and against everything I just said but that's okay... let's continue.

Over the years I've collected 87 Genesis and 32X (an ill fated add on designed to deliver better graphics and sound) games and a bunch of peripherals. Some I'm proud of (Gunstar Heroes) and others... not so much (Batman Forever). My original intention was to collect all of the games I used to rent when I was younger and for the most part I've succeeded. I'm missing a few but a large chunk of my childhood has been safely purchased. The Genesis isn't the only system I collect for but it's been my main focus if only because it means the most to me. Also, let's not kid ourselves; it's the least expensive.

It seems strange, since I can just download the entire ROM collection for the Genesis and probably safely fit it onto one DVD but there's just something about having those little black carts and in some cases, their plastic clamshell boxes. I'm not that anal about collecting the boxes which raise their value since I don't aim to sell the games any time soon, however they are nice to have. It's a shame some great games like Vectorman were cursed with the late model paper boxes that don't look as good or hold up as well.

I also learned that collecting is a nice way to get involved in online communities (like Ken Horowitz's awesome Sega-16). It's fun to meet others and discuss what's good, what's terrible, what's rare, and what's so common you can find ten copies of it in your dumpster out back. I really like talking with people who share a common interest in something I enjoy and sometimes they can even help me find that stubborn piece of my collection I've been looking for. I found the act of collecting to be almost as exciting as the games themselves, if only for the old memories and the new friends.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for my savings account, I've slowed down my collecting in the past few months. I've gotten almost everything I want except for a few pieces that are so rare and expensive I doubt I'll ever manage to get my hands on them, I have my limits (here's looking at you M.U.S.H.A.). I'd recommend to anyone out there who's bored to try starting a collection of something they enjoy, it's a really rewarding experience.

I'll be keeping my eye open for the missing pieces of my collection. Just remember if you ever see a creepy guy filing through those archaic black cartridges in the back of your game store instead of swooning over the newest incarnation of Halo, it just might be me.

No comments: